Have a read of some of the frequently asked questions we receive. If you still have some questions about the process of joining the Calgary Art Market roster, feel free to Contact Us.
The Calgary Art Market is still in it’s “BETA” phase which means we are continually testing the platform and the user experience to ensure it’s ready to share more widely. In this BETA phase, we will be hand-picking select artists to list their work.
Buyers provide payment information via our secure online e-commerce platform. A 10% commission for every transaction is paid to the Calgary Art Market. This commission includes a 3% credit card transaction fee. The payment is processed immediately and paid to the Calgary Art Market in the next billing cycle (up to 4 weeks). Once the Calgary Art Market receives the payment, the Artist is paid.
Approved Artists can have their own profile page including:
- Artist bio and profile photo
- Contact Information
- Link to previous work
- Link to Featured Work
- Media, Press and Partner logos and links
- What kind of product they are selling (retail price, sale price or auction item)
- Details and description of artwork
- Up to 8 photos of the artwork
The automatic listing time is 1 month.
If you’re art hasn’t sold after 1 month, you have three options of what to do next. Read more about these options here.
The most successful artists are those who are able to market their art. A few ways to promote your art can include:
- Social Media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- E-Newsletter: collect email sign-ups so you can send interested buyers information when you release new art
- Events & Shows
Month's End Options
The Calgary Art Market aims to maintain a dynamic collection of art. To ensure art is being turned over regularly, art is automatically listed for 1 month. If the art is not sold after a month, then the Artist has three options to choose from:
RenewKeep your price
30-day wait period
- Devon lists a piece of art for $200 but after 1 month, it hasn’t sold
- He’s not too interested in dropping the price, so he renews his listing.
- His listing goes live again after a 30-day wait period
SaleReduce your price
Minimum 10% discount
Duration: Up to 30 days
- Kelly lists a piece of art for $500 but after a month, it hasn’t sold
- She decides to drop the price by 10% ($450) but it still doesn’t sell.
- After two weeks she decides to reduce it to $425 and it sells at that price
AuctionLet the market show your price point
Suggested starting price: 50% - 75%
Duration: Min 2 days, Max 30 days
- Sarah lists a piece of art for $300 but after a month, it hasn’t sold
- She decides to convert the listing to an auction with the starting bid at the recommended 50% of retail value.
- The auction is live for 1 week
- Sarah promotes her listing on social media and the highest bidder wins the art for $275
Important to note:
- Only when the art is sold will a 10% fee be collected by the Calgary Art Market.
- The 10% commission is the lowest in the industry and includes a 3% credit card fee.
- When listings go unsold, there is always a month delay for re-listing.
- The artist is paid once the art has been given to the buyer and the payment processing is complete which can take up to 1 month.
- This structure and commission schedule is valid during BETA phase. Changes, if any, will be communicated in notice.